Founded by Larry Aldrich in 1964, The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum is dedicated to fostering the work of innovative artists whose interpretations of the world around us serve as a platform to encourage creative thinking. The Aldrich is one of the few independent, non-collecting contemporary art museums in the United States and the only museum in Connecticut devoted to contemporary art, and engages its diverse audiences with thought-provoking, interdisciplinary exhibitions and programs.
Originally located in the landmark 1783 building on Ridgefield’s historic Main Street that now houses administrative offices, since 2004 the Museum has been housed in a 17,000 square-foot facility that features two floors of exhibition galleries and a dynamic Education Center, and overlooks a two-acre Sculpture Garden. Throughout its fifty-year history, The Aldrich has served as a laboratory for artists to engage with innovative ideas and techniques, offering a venue for new avenues of exploration for themselves and Museum visitors.
The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum was founded by philanthropist Larry Aldrich, a fashion designer and avid collector of contemporary art. It opened in 1964 as one of the country's first museums devoted exclusively to contemporary art. Mr. Aldrich wanted to make contemporary art accessible to a variety of audiences, and help visitors appreciate the art of their time. Since its founding, The Aldrich has been a national leader in the presentation of outstanding new art, cultivation of emerging artists, and innovative museum education programs.